Monday, September 7, 2009

Thoughts on Chapter 6

I have to sympathise with Kristen as I too found the initial portion of this chapter rather dry. At the time I found it frustrating as I felt I understood most of the concepts yet continually had to think my way through equation after equation. That said it was actually the equations which helped me to better understand many of the concepts by the time I finished the chapter.

Despite my initial disapproval I did find the chapter useful although perhaps not the most interesting thing I have ever read. That said I hope someone can pull out some interesting application for this weeks discussion as I'm currently a bit light on for ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Several key applications are:

    Free energy;it is what must be minimised

    two-state treatment of dna and protein unfolding

    many more in the next 2 chapters: osmotic pressure, the hydrophobic interaction,...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the point of Chapter 6 might have been to introduce us to ideas that we'll need to use later. Most of the ideas in the chapter are pretty important if you were to go on to study some kind of biological system - or at least could be used to help you model simply how a biological system works.

    ReplyDelete