Friday, August 28, 2009

Turning back the clock in these turbulent times

I am enjoying reading Nelson at 2am saturday morning in Toronto. (I am still jet-lagged). I found several nice videos about turbulent and laminar flow.

This video shows how as the velocity of flow increases above a critical value (determined by the magnitude of the Reynolds number) that there is a transition to turbulent flow.

This video shows dramatically what the static photos in Figure 5.1 show. That at low Reynolds number (i.e., for laminar flow) it looks like mixing does not happen.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I found the second video particularly good; I haven't seen seen colour used to model 'time reversal' before.

    Enjoy Toronto, and I hope your flight back remains well inside the laminar regime.

    ReplyDelete