Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Upcoming Reading

So for next week, we're doing the reading for Chapter 4 of Nelson, but the week after (if we follow the book), we'd be set to read Chapter 5, entitled "Life in the Slow Lane: The Low Reynolds-Number World". While the contents of the chapter are definitely important to some aspects of biophysics, the year I did PHYS2170, the second year biophysics course, we covered a lot of that material in quite a bit of depth. To that end, I'd like to propose that we skip Chapter 5 in our reading.

If I'm outvoted and everyone else would like to study Chapter 5, then that's fine, but I just thought I'd put the suggestion out there. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind doing chapter 5 cause its interesting content and I can't remember a lot of it from second year. That said I wont be upset if the majority don't want to do chapter 5 as I'm sure whatever else we decide to do will be just as interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll abstain from this vote - I don't think I have particularly much to gain from it, but if others would find it worthwhile (as Michael has said; Alex and Ack, what about yourselves?) I have nothing against covering it.

    Maybe we could alternate between chapters which benefit different people, or groups of people?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I agree with Kristen on this one.. mostly.

    Much of the chapter 5 content about viscosity, foraging, vascular networks etc is familiar to me (especially now that I've read through most of it trying to reach an informed opinion!). And dwelling on it does feel like a bit of a distraction from where I'd like to be, which is trying to make more sense of entropy in chapter 6.

    BUT. I think the big picture in chapter 5 is interesting, and I wonder whether some brief discussion of the focus question (re: time reversal in the nanoworld) might take us beyond phys2170. Would anyone else like to discuss 5.2.3 (time-reversal properties & dissipative character)?

    ReplyDelete