Sunday, October 18, 2009

FRET efficiency between a mutant of whttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gtGFP (donor) & a newish red fluorescing derivative of DsRed, mCherry (acceptor)

hello.
My photophysics reading for this week has been "Quantitative FRET Analysis With the E0GFP-mCherry Fluorescent Protein Pair", published in August '08 in Photochemistry and Photobiology 85(1). I had trouble accessing the pdf via the library site, but the html option worked just fine.

In this article, some scientists from various institutions within the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa propose a new fluorescent protein pair (E0GFP-mCherry) which they argue is particularly useful for FRET experiments in living cells.

The link here to Kristen's paper should be obvious and, in case you're interested, I got a bit carried away trying to find a link to Michael's. I might have come up with a link that actually has some conceptual substance by Tuesday, but in the meantime here's my best effort: mCherry is a monomeric derivative of DsRed, a red fluorescing protein derived from stony coral. Michael's paper features HcRed, which is also red fluorescing and also derived from an anthozoa, but is dimeric & found in nature in an anemone, not a coral.

back on track... my article describes the quantitative determination of FRET efficiency for this pair using fluorescence lifetime imaging spectroscopy (FLIM) & acceptor photobleaching (APB). I found the format a bit "biology-esque" (with descriptions of method focussing on technique used for, say, cloning proteins) but these were all new ideas to me so it was interesting and I coped! I recommend skipping to the treatment of FLIM & APB in the Results section which was somehow more conceptual.

The authors also talk about "the recent phasor approach" to FLIM, which I had to go here to understand.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you don't have to come up with a link to *everyone* else's paper - if you could do that, then it means we've all looked at really similar aspects. Diversity is better :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, your links don't work properly - the website of the blog is in front of the actual address you want. So you want to go to http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2008.00435.x for the paper and to here http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1529/biophysj.107.120154 for the phasor approach explanation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh... I hadn't actually heard of E0GFP before this, Ack. Many thanks for bringing a new variant to my attention! Looks like a nice example of a dominant A-band (neutral chromophore, according to the dominant wisdom) green FP. Interesting mutations - I'll have to refresh my memory of where position 231 falls in the wild-type structure. My guess is that it may be near the chromophore, because having L instead of H might mean getting rid of a compensating charge that would stabilize the anionic chromophore form. Position 64 is right upstream of the chromophore, and I imagine that getting rid of a polarizable F residue also destabilizes the anionic form...

    ReplyDelete