Saturday, October 10, 2009

Neural Networks Introduction

I had a flick through the Biophysics textbook by Cotterill, which had a section on neural networks. Since we probably don't all have access to that particular book, I've done a summary of it and uploaded my summary here. It's pretty basic, but I thought it would be good background reading to get us started. Let me know if you have any problems with the file.

I tried to look for some of Steinbuch's original papers. Unfortunately, the UQ library doesn't seem to have access to a lot of them, and the ones that I did manage to view were all in German.

If I get the time, I'll try to post a relevant paper.

If there is anything confusing or that doesn't make sense in the summary, feel free to comment.

4 comments:

  1. i've been meaning to say... i've gathered there are people at McGill doing some interesting work on neural networks. so i've asked a friend who is studying A.I. over there (and in any case will have access to their library) about papers in english by Steinbuch and i'll post back here when i get a response!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! If you get a response that would be great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas.
    Here is Bob the Bavarian's response:
    "Karl Steinbuch, eh! I'm glad you mention him -- because I hadn't even heard of him, although he seems to be one of Germany's most notable
    early computer scientists, or cyberneticists, as they called it back in the day.
    What's an anthropologist's business with him? I read on Wikipedia that he was an opponent of the ecological movement."
    (loool!)
    He also said he trawled McGill's library and couldn't find anything in English.

    ReplyDelete